Hidden Warriors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reccomended books and summer reading

3 posters

Go down

Reccomended books and summer reading Empty Reccomended books and summer reading

Post  Rainpaw Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Are there books you'd like to reccomend to us? Did you read something good over the summer? (Or something bad you may want to warn us about. xD) Just fill out the form below!

Code:
[b]Book title:[/b]
[b]Author:[/b]
[b]Rating:[/b] (G, PG, PG-13, etc.)
[b]Brief summary:[/b] (Just tell us a little about the book.)
[b]Opinion:[/b] (Did you like it? Was it horrible? Why?)
Rainpaw
Rainpaw
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Reccomended books and summer reading Empty Re: Reccomended books and summer reading

Post  Violetstar Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:04 pm

Book title: The Host
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Rating: PG-13
Brief summary: It's about a girl who's body is taken over by an alien, but she refuses to leave. (It's not as horrible as it sounds.)
Opinion: I LOVED it. It was amazing. I can't explain why, though. You just have to read it to understand.
Violetstar
Violetstar
Leader

Back to top Go down

Reccomended books and summer reading Empty Re: Reccomended books and summer reading

Post  Rainpaw Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:48 pm

Ooh, the Host was good! :3 Go Ian!

Book title: Bloody Jack
Author: L.A. Meyer
Rating: Hmm...PG13
Brief summary: Mary Faber was cast out onto the streets of London as an orphan around the 1700's. Before long, she is forced to disguise herself as a boy, changes her name to Jacky, and takes up a post as a ship's boy on His Majesty's Ship, the Dolphin. Many things are awaiting her there, including romance, conspiracy, pirates, amusement, and plenty of action!
Opinion: I personally LOVED this book. It's brilliant, I tell you!
Rainpaw
Rainpaw
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Whisperbreeze Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 pm

Book title:The Gargoyle
Author:Andrew Davidson
Rating: PG-13
Brief summary: Everything in this book is bound by love

In the beginning the narrator (whose name idk) is driven off a road a is involved in a severe crash that leads to nearly fatal burns all over his body. Stuck in the hospital's burn unit, he plans his death until this girl, Marianne Engel, shows up at his bed says they were lovers in Germany in the 1700s. One might call her crazy, which he thinks she is, but they develop a relationship unlike the narrator has ever known. She says that her last heart belongs to him. What does she mean by that? What happenes if she gives it away? Why did she give him this carving of a gargoyle? Read and discover.
Opinion: This was an okay book. There really isn't a plot and a bunch of notes that can side track you. It has regilgious meaning to it so beware if you do read it. I only read it because of the pretty colors on the cover.

Whisperbreeze
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Violetstar Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Book title: Fever 1793
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Rating: PG to PG-13
Brief summary: It's set in 1793, during the yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. The main character is a teen-age girl named Mattie, and the book tells the story of her, and her family, and what happened to them during the plague.
Opinion: I adored this book. Mostly because the yellow fever epidemic really happened, and also because historical fiction is my thing. It was very sad, though, so if you don't like sad things, don't read it.
Violetstar
Violetstar
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainpaw Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:03 pm

Book title: Jonathan Livingston Seagull
Author: Richard Bach
Rating: PG, though it's a kind of...deep-ish book. Older readers would probably understand it better.
Brief summary: Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a gull like no other. While the rest of his flock fight and squabble over food, seeing flying only as a way to survive, Jon sees it a beautiful, brilliant thing. He practices flight techniques all day, forfeiting meals just to spend the few hours of sunlight doing what he loves. When Jon is made outcast from the flock for setting a flying speed record, he keeps on learning and flying, right into his next lifetime.
Opinion: I absolutely LOVED this book. It's extremely hard to describe the point in the book, and I know I didn't do an adequate job at it. The book is really short, but conveys so many important messages. It's practically a work of art. I love Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and reccomend it over any book I've read.
Rainpaw
Rainpaw
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Whisperbreeze Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Book title:Dead Until Dark
Author:Charlaine Harris
Rating: PG-sexual content and language
Brief summary: Sookie Stackhouse is a waitress at a local bar in a small town in Louisiana. She has a disability in which enables her to read minds. Because of that she keeps to herself and doesn't date much because she can read everyone's mind. That is everyone but Bill and he is a vampire. This is excatly what she has wanted. Tall, dark, handsome, and can't hear a word he is thinking. But of course along with him come shis bad reputation, a creepy group of friends, and to top that all off he is a murder suspect. Is it any consolation the she might be next on the list?
Opinion: I loved this book not only because it about vampires but because of its flare of mystery. This first book in the series is quite a good read. I read it in one day I was so into it. There are a few kinky scenes so beware if you don't like that sort of thing or are too young for it. Seriously do. Its also being made into a TV series called True Blood so YAY!

Whisperbreeze
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Violetstar Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:55 pm

((Really?!?!? I'm watching True Blood right now!! OMG!))
Violetstar
Violetstar
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Rainpaw Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:53 pm

Book title: Godless
Author: Pete Hautman
Rating: PG-13 (For deep-ish thinking, some language, and some scary scenes (Hey, I could be a movie rater person!)
Brief summary: Basicly, one day, laying under a water tower after being knocked out by a kid half his size, Jason Bock has a though. That thought is: What if the water tower was God? Not your average thought, even by my standards. xD From this thought springs so much more, and Jason ends up the leader of a new religion. But there are problems..."Chutengodianism" is a lot more risky than Jason would have though. Some people are getting hurt, while others are taking worshiping the "Ten-Legged One" much to seriously...
Opinion: I loved this book. It was so weird and wacky, with some interesting different points of view and depth. It was really short, just about 190 pages. Very interesting, fun, it's all good. Check it out. ^^
Rainpaw
Rainpaw
Moderators
Moderators

Back to top Go down

Post  Violetstar Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:33 am

Book title: Glass Houses
Author: Rachel Caine
Rating: PG-13 or R (Possible sexual content, language, violence, scary scenes...The works.)
Brief summary: Claire Danvers was your ordinarly, everyday, 16-year-old genius....until she moved to Morganville. After graduating from high-school two years early, she moved to the small college town of Morganville, Texas for school. Of course, she was planning to transfer to an IVY League university in two years, but her parents wanted her to start out small. So, after being bullied on campus, and numerous other things she decides try and find somewhere off campus to stay. In her search for off-campus boarding she stumbles across roommates Eve Rosser, Shane Collins, and Michael Glass. She then proceeds to move in with them, and discovers that Morganville is a town ruled by vampires. This leads to a series of events that unfold throughout the series and involve all four of the room mates, plus some.
Opinion: I loved this book, and the rest of the series. I loved it so much that I used photoshop to make myself a Morganville-themed background for my computer. They're great, but there is some material in them that would definitely be considered PG-13, and (because I don't know what will happen in the later books) possibly R. Youngsters, don't read them. I don't want to be responsible for robbing you of your innocence. Other than that, they're GREAT! I recommend them to anyone who likes vampires...or not.
Violetstar
Violetstar
Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum